Tax Free Weekend is almost here! Starting Friday , at 12:01 a.m. through Sunday at 11:59 p.m., you’ll save 9¾ percent on clothing, school supplies and computers!
You will not pay state or local sales tax on clothing, school and art supplies that cost $100 or less per item and computers that cost $1,500 or less. Here are eight tips to help you maximize your Tax Free Weekend savings!
- Get organized before Friday. Take an inventory of what you have and what you need. Look through clothes, shoes and school supplies. Make a list of what need and set a budget.
- Plan ahead for big purchases. If you are considering buying a computer or tablet, this is the time to do it since the tax savings can be more than $100 in some cases. Items like computers with a purchase price of $1,500 or less, including laptops and tablets (iPads, etc.) are tax free! Do your research ahead of time. Look through sale ads now and find the computer you want to purchase, then get to that store early.
- Make sure you look for coupons! Stack coupons and in store promotions with tax savings to get some great deals. Many retailers will put out coupons either online or in their print ad for this weekend.
- Online Retailers will participate in Tax Free Weekend too. Historically several of them offer sales and free shipping deals.
- Do Not over buy. This is especially true on school supplies. Buy what you need to take the first day but save the major stocking up until after schools starts. Stores will clearance all their supplies and you can get a better deal then. Same goes for clothing. Buy what you know is a good deal or what you need, then watch for clearance.
- Families with young children not in school can save too! Diapers are tax exempt this weekend. So grab you diaper coupons and look for a sale. Clothing and shoes for all ages and things like art supplies are also tax exempt.
- Read over the list of tax exempt items. You might be surprised what all you find included! Also, it will help clear up any questions like: computers are included but smartphones are not. Backpacks are included but briefcases are not. Cowboy boots are exempt, but ski boots are not.
- If you want to save time and money- Price Match. Staples has a 110% Lowest Price Guarantee . They will matches any competitors’ prices, plus gives customers an additional 10 percent of the difference between the Staples price and the competitor price at time of purchase. Target will also price match items you find for a lower price in a competitor’s local print ad. Look through your ads and find all the best deals on the items you need. Then head to a price matching store with your ads and get everything you need at the best possible price!